Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Got Cow Juice?

When I was a kid, my dad always called milk "cow juice".  His explanation was this: squeeze oranges, get orange juice; squeeze apples, get apple juice; squeeze a cow?  Cow Juice!

So, the rep for cows' milk has become pretty damaged in recent times.  Most popularly due to the increase of hormones and antibiotics injected in cattle today.  Mass production has pros and cons, but cheaper is rarely better.  More on that by Global Healing Center.


We (Hubby, Sydney, et moi) are not allergic to dairy or lactose intolerant, but we recognize the problems with processed cows' milk.  So we are attempting a dairy purge.  Wish us luck - it isn't going to be easy!  I'm sure it will be worth it though.  As awareness grows, so do the alternative options.  Here are a few:

  • ALMOND milk - This one is for the sweet tooth!  Nice and creamy with sweet accents.  You may love this one, you may hate it.  But do try it!  
  • SOY milk - A hearty milk choice, a little thicker.   My favorite in a bowl of cereal!
  • COCONUT milk - My favorite brand is So Delicious.  It doesn't have an overwhelming flavor, and it has a nice medium consistency.  Get a $0.55 cent off coupon on the So Delicious site!
  • RICE milk - Typically pretty thin.  Probably a good choice for those used to skim or 2% (versus Vitamin D or whole milk).  Often found in a box carton, as shown here.
    
 


(Also, hemp milk and goat milk, which I've yet to try.)

Also on my dairy free grocery list: coffee creamer and ice cream!


Thanks for reading!

Liv ;)

7 comments:

  1. Kate found that our non-dairy creamer said in the ingredients: "contains milk". Whaaaat? I'm thinking' if they don't know then I don't want it. Also if they are trying to decieve me I don't want it. But after leaving dairy I am off Prilosec!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way, it sounds like dairy free deserves a try! I do hope adjusting your diet allows you to discontinue meds. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. I've been drinking almond milk since its been in the house. I'm a fan of the original!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found it easy to make the switch from dairy to non-dairy. Even when going out. For instants, you can find more coupons for almond milk which gives you a better deal than just a sale price on regular cows milk. Also getting soy milk in your Starbucks is an excellent substitute. Coconut milk, now that's a fun ingredient to switch out when baking! I have yet to try any others besides these I have listed, how ever I am totally open to trying more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to soy my Starbucks... I'll be trying that! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I used to get soy milk but almond is supposed to be better so I switched to that. I like it as much as the soy. I don't go through it fast so I tend to get the smaller ones in the boxes that are usually over by cereal or granola bars. They don't have to be refrigerated right away either.

    ReplyDelete